Beef liver for your dog
Have you ever given the thought to giving your dog beef liver? I have to admit that it has never crossed my mind. I am always making sure that Jake and Maggie get the best food and treats. I buy everything organic whether it be a baby carrot for a treat or their kibble but liver???? Nope! I’ve dehydrated chicken strips, sirloin strips, sweet potatoes, zucchini, and even bananas (which didn’t turn out that great). Turns out that my research says dogs LOVE BEEF LIVER!
I’ve been anxiously waiting for the right time to decorate so here you go!!!
Pros of feeding your dog Beef Liver:
- Beef liver has lots of benefits such as a large amount of vitamin A, several B vitamins, iron, trace minerals, and CoQ10. It’s also a good source of protein.
- Liver is a nutrient-rich organ meat that most dogs readily eat. Liver can provide your dog with protein, fat and vitamin A, but also make sure this is offered in moderation. Liver is also a good source of copper, iron, niacin, phosphorus and zinc. It provides many B vitamins, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and essential amino acids.
- Liver can be an important component of a raw food diet for your dog, too. Be sure to use other organ meats, such as the heart, the kidneys or the brain, to give your dog a wider variety of nutrients that he needs for good health. Remember to only use small amounts of liver to avoid harming your dog’s health.
Cons of feeding your dog Beef Liver:
- Feeding your dog liver from wild game may or may not be a good idea because you cannot guarantee the quality of the organ. Some deer, for example, are affected with liver flukes that make their livers unsafe for canine consumption.
- While liver offers many health benefits, it can also be harmful if your dog eats too much of it. Dogs that eat too much liver may be prone to a condition called hypervitaminosis A, or an overdose of vitamin A. Symptoms of a vitamin A overdose can include bone deformity, bone spurs on the dog’s legs or spine that cause him to limp, digestive upsets, muscle weakness, stiffness or weight loss. Your veterinarian will provide supportive care to your dog if he’s overdosed on vitamin A, and you may have to eliminate liver from your dog’s diet to prevent future overdoses.
How to Feed Liver to Your Dog
- You can feed liver to your dog once or twice a week by giving him small amounts of fresh cooked liver as a supplement to his regular diet.
- One of the easiest ways to add liver to your dog’s diet may be to give him occasional liver treats. Liver treats can either be purchased at the store or made at home. Check pet cookbooks or conduct an online search for “dog liver treat recipe” for more information. I can’t promise I’ll post a recipe but if I do try it, you will be the first to know.
- If you have a small breed dog, you can give him one or two treats twice a week, while medium breed dogs can have 3 or 4 treats twice a week. Large breed dogs can have 5 or 6 treats twice a week.
- You can use liver treats to reward outstanding behavior (also use verbal praise, so your dog doesn’t become conditioned to behaving only for his edible treat) or as a training aid to teach critical behaviors such as house training.
It was a busy week for all of us! Jake and Maggie helped us clean out the garage, weed, and mow grass on their daddy’s new Kubota Tractor. The pups were worn out! I didn’t tell them that next weekend, we get to pressure wash the driveway, patio, and sidewalks :-). I hope you enjoyed the article. I’m curious to know if anyone gives their dogs liver treats! Comment below and let me know!
You Might Also Like
Happy Wednesday everyone! What would you do if your pup got stung by a bee? I was thinking about this the other day as I was watching the many bumble bees buzzing about my yard. Jake And Maggie are not phased by these buzzing bees and thank goodness for that! What...
Happy Monday everyone!! Have you ever heard of SiliDog Pet Tags? If you have not, check out my SiliDogs Pet Tags post and you will see how amazing this product is! SiliDog reached out to me and I’m excited to tell you that we have partnered together for a giveaway....
Happy Friday everyone!!! Have you ever wondered if you annoy your dog? Here are 12 Things Humans Do That Annoy Their Dog! I am constantly hugging Jake because he LOVES it but Maggie is more of a pet me and walk away kinda dog. Don’t get me wrong; she loves...