Helping animal shelters during the holidays!
Every year Thomas and I donate to the animal shelters for the holidays by not only making a monetary donation but providing the shelter with cleaning supplies and food. I’ve often thought about the many dedicated and caring volunteers that donate their time and effort taking care of the animals and the shelter. There is ALOT that goes into being a volunteer and I don’t feel they are appreciated enough. I’ve put together a list of ways that you can help your local shelter this year and one that I’ve never thought about before was baking a tray of cookies for the shelter employees and volunteers. Thomas and I are planning on making sugar cookies this year. Looks like I’ll be buying one more holiday tray and making some extra sweets :-)!
How to help pet shelters during the holidays
- Walk the dogs
- Help clean cages
- Donate sheets, rugs, collars, food, treats
- Make catnip bags for the cats – I talked to our local rescue and they suggested cutting up old blue jeans, folding catnip inside and sewing the package together. They said their cats love to play and this occupies their time.
- Adopt a pet
- Volunteer your time whether it be administrative, adoption events, or shelter responsibilities
- Bring a pet home to foster
- Follow your local animal shelter on social media
- Bake something for the shelter volunteers
- Cash donations – might even be taxable
- Shop for deals – check your local JoAnn Fabrics or Micheals after the holiday is over for toys and supplies on sale.
- Donate paper towls
- Donate newspapers
- Advertise the shelter if you write a blog
- Donate your vehicle
- Donate baby pools – My local shelter told me that their puppies love this gift in the summer time!
- Sponsor a pet for the month – I am told that this helps get these fur babies adopted faster if their adoption fees are paid for. Some shelters call this a “cage donation”.
- Pay for a vet bill whether it be something as simple as flea and tick prevention or surgery.
- Make a memorial donation in memory of a loved one.
You Might Also Like
How To Make A Meat And Cheese Tray Shaped Into A Christmas Tree
Happy Monday everyone! We are day 19 into The 24 Days Before Christmas and this Meat And Cheese Christmas Tree Board is so fun! It’s honestly adorable and so perfect for your holiday table! I made this using a 17 x 13 inch cheese board from Kirklands (similar HERE)...
How To Decorate Your Christmas Tree
Happy Friday everyone! We are day 16 into The 24 Days Before Christmas and I’m talking about How To Decorate Your Christmas Tree. Do you search Pinterest looking for inspiration, find something you love, and then think…how did they do that? After all the searching...
How To Make Marshmallow Snowflakes
Happy Monday everyone!! These How To Make Marshmallow Snowflakes are a pretty addition to a delicious cup of hot chocolate! They are inexpensive to make, easy to create, and can be completed within a few minutes! Picture this…the snow is falling, the fireplace is...