Sanding sugar is closely related to several different types of sugars, so substituting it in a recipe is usually straightforward. Here are some substitutes you can use if you don’t have any sanding sugar on hand:
Hershey Kisses Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder I used Hershey's Powder
- 24 Hershey Kisses This recipe makes between 20 - 24 cookies
- handful of sugar or more To sprinkle on top of cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, mix with spoon the butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla
- Add flour a cup at a time and mix well
- For two large dough balls and set one ball aside
- Leave the other dough ball in the bowl and add cocoa powder. Combine well until the entire ball is chocolate
- Roll out the vanilla ball into approximately 18 to 20 inch log. Do the same with the chocolate ball
- Twist both logs into a braid and cut into 1 inch slices. Roll each slice into a ball and place on a greased cookie sheet. I used PAM cooking spray in butter flavor
- Pat down each ball a bit with a spoon or your fingers and bake for 13 minutes. The recipe said 12 minutes but my oven cooks a bit faster
- Remove from oven, sprinkle sugar on top, and place a Hershey Kiss in the middle.
- Transport to a decorative dish and serve
- Cookies can be stored in an air tight container for up to 3 to 4 days or frozen for later
I love hearing from all of you and do my best to respond to each and every one of you. I always enjoy your comments, feedback, and suggestions so keep them coming! If I’ve posted a recipe (for our human and our furry friends) and you try it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @twoadorablelabs and use #twoadorablelabs.
If you do try and love my recipes, I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating. I read every single one and respond to them. It also lets Google know that the website contains quality content. The more comments and 5-star ratings, the more Google will show my blog in search results! Thank you so much!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You Might Also Like
Happy Wednesday everyone! Ever wonder what your pet's reaction means to something? Your Dog's Zodiac Sign is a fun post that sheds light on their behavior based on the month they were born. Jake and Maggie are Gemini's born June 8, 2017! The horoscope (see chart)...
Happy Wednesday everyone! Today on the blog we are talking about The Stigma Surrounding The Pitbull Breed. For those of you who have never owned a Pitbull, I want to tell you that they are a wonderful breed. So when I heard about the UK banning all XL bully dog...
Happy Wednesday everyone! Today on the blog we are answering What Is a Cat's Primordial Pouch? My sister adopted a kitten and as he grows, he is developing a very large stomach. I commented on how big he is getting and she said it’s a Primordial Pouch. As soon as...
Happy Wednesday everyone! Last year I posted every day in the month of December celebrating the 24 days before Christmas but I’ve decided not to bombard you with emails and chose an interesting topic on the History of Alpha Dogs. How is the “Alpha” or “Pack Leader”...
Happy Wednesday everyone! Looking for treats and pet enrichment toys that can entertain and keep your pet busy? This Snuffle Mat (#ad) is one of the best toys I have ever bought Jake and Maggie! They love it. Made with polar fleece material, it is soft, durable,...
Happy Wednesday everyone! Are these Mini Pup Pumpkin Pies not the cutest homemade dog treats you have ever seen? Made with oats, eggs, vanilla, 100% Pumpkin Puree and organic plain low fat yogurt, your pup will love them. These treats are “Lab Tested, Doggie...