Sanding sugar is closely related to several different types of sugars, so substituting it in a recipe is usually straightforward. Here are some substitutes you can use if you don’t have any sanding sugar on hand:
Hershey Kisses Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder I used Hershey's Powder
- 24 Hershey Kisses This recipe makes between 20 - 24 cookies
- handful of sugar or more To sprinkle on top of cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, mix with spoon the butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla
- Add flour a cup at a time and mix well
- For two large dough balls and set one ball aside
- Leave the other dough ball in the bowl and add cocoa powder. Combine well until the entire ball is chocolate
- Roll out the vanilla ball into approximately 18 to 20 inch log. Do the same with the chocolate ball
- Twist both logs into a braid and cut into 1 inch slices. Roll each slice into a ball and place on a greased cookie sheet. I used PAM cooking spray in butter flavor
- Pat down each ball a bit with a spoon or your fingers and bake for 13 minutes. The recipe said 12 minutes but my oven cooks a bit faster
- Remove from oven, sprinkle sugar on top, and place a Hershey Kiss in the middle.
- Transport to a decorative dish and serve
- Cookies can be stored in an air tight container for up to 3 to 4 days or frozen for later
I love hearing from all of you and do my best to respond to each and every one of you. I always enjoy your comments, feedback, and suggestions so keep them coming! If I’ve posted a recipe (for our human and our furry friends) and you try it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @twoadorablelabs and use #twoadorablelabs.
If you do try and love my recipes, I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating. I read every single one and respond to them. It also lets Google know that the website contains quality content. The more comments and 5-star ratings, the more Google will show my blog in search results! Thank you so much!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You Might Also Like
A Chemical Free Yard For Your Pet
Happy Wednesday everyone! Today was so beautiful with sunny skies that it made me want to go out and start my yard work (boy do I have a lot to do). I always consider the dogs when fertilizing and planting. We have a grub problem this year and I’m on the search for...
Do Dogs Know When They Are Going To Die?
Happy Wednesday everyone! Do Dogs Know When They Are Going To Die? This is not a happy topic but one that I wanted to write about. I was looking at the calendar today and on April 6th almost 7 years ago, our sweet Bella passed away. We had already lost our Bear to...
Jake’s Surgery At Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center And Dog Friendly Columbus, OH
Happy Wednesday everyone! I previously wrote a post about Jake’s Luxating Patella/Cranial Cruciate surgery last year and we thought we were out of the water. But our hopes for a successful recovery went wrong. During that surgery, two screws were placed in the knee...
How Does A Dog’s Immune System Work?
Happy Wednesday everyone! Today on the blog we are answering questions on How Does A Dog’s Immune System Work? I found this topic particularly interesting because every time I would take Jake And Maggie to their yearly exams, my vet would ask me if I give them...
Why Does My Dog Smell Like Fish?
Happy Wednesday everyone! Today on the blog we are talking about Why Does My Dog Smell Like Fish? I will admit that Jake And Maggie have had problems off and on since they were pups with their paws smelling like Fritos (see my post on Why Do My Dogs Paws Smell Like...
Do Dogs And Cats Suffer From Seasonal Affective Disorder?
Happy Wednesday everyone! And Happy New Year! After a much needed break, I’m back to blogging and will be doing so every Wednesday. I took time to work on a fun new project which I’ll be talking about here shortly. But for now, it’s all about our sweet pets! The...
these were incredible!!!!!! When I bit into “them”, I was pleasantly surprised that they were moist when bitten into and not crunchy. These cookies where awesome!!!!
Thank you! I’m so happy you liked them. Mr. TAL, You are my favorite taste tester 🙂