Keeping Your Pet Safe During Halloween
Two Spoiled Dogs And One Spoiled Cat
Jake and Maggie resting in the leaves after their long walk. My sister’s cat, Piggy, loving his new fall blanket from Home Goods.
Chocolate – Most people have heard that chocolate is toxic to dogs. It can cause symptoms ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to deadly heart arrythmias. The toxins in chocolate come from the coco itself and the amount that is dangerous to your dog will depend on the size of your dog and the quantity of coco that your dog consumed. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate have lots of coco while milk chocolate and candy bars do not have that much actual coco. If you find that your dog has gotten into the chocolate, immediately call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-213-6680.
Sugar free candy – Xylitol is a common substitute for sugar in sugar free candy and gum. While xylitol is safe for humans, it is extremely dangerous for dogs. Even tiny amounts can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure and can kill your dog. If you find that your dog has consumed xylitol, call your veterinarian and seek emergency care immediately.
Glow sticks – We use glow sticks to keep our kids safe from cars on Halloween. Some people even put them around their dog’s neck to add to the festivities. Here’s the good news, if your dog chews up the glow stick they are most likely going to be ok. Glow sticks contain a bitter tasting liquid called dibutyl phthalate. This bad tasting goop can cause your dog to drool profusely. Offer your dog plenty of clean water and wash them off to make sure there is no more glow stick liquid in their fur that will be licked off later.
Corn on the Cob Decorations – Somehow, corn cob is an irresistible treat to many dogs. Unfortunately, the cob does not digest in the stomach and tends to try to pass through in the whole chunk that your dog bit off. These cob chunks are often just the right size to get stuck in the way through and the course surface of the cob acts like sandpaper on the sensitive surface of the intestines. Surgery may be required to remove the offending cob.
Lost Dogs – Halloween is a night of opening doors and gates. In a quick second, your dog can get out and become lost.
Follow these tips when dressing up your pet:
Some Halloween decorations can also pose a Halloween pet safety risk, such as:
If your pet is microchipped, ensure that your contact information is correct in the microchip company’s database. If your pet isn’t already microchipped, talk to your vet about the simple procedure to provide future peace of mind. See my post here on To Microchip Or To Not Microchip?
Watch for signs of stress and anxiety, including:
Meanwhile, Thundershirts are designed to hug your pet with gentle, constant pressure to potentially calm fear and anxiety. There are versions for both dogs and cats, so all of your furry family members can reap the benefits.
I love hearing from all of you and do my best to respond to each and every one of you. I always enjoy your comments, feedback, and suggestions so keep them coming! If I’ve posted a recipe (for our human and our furry friends) and you try it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @twoadorablelabs and use #twoadorablelabs.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You Might Also Like
A Chemical Free Yard For Your Pet
Happy Wednesday everyone! Today was so beautiful with sunny skies that it made me want to go out and start my yard work (boy do I have a lot to do). I always consider the dogs when fertilizing and planting. We have a grub problem this year and I’m on the search for...
Do Dogs Know When They Are Going To Die?
Happy Wednesday everyone! Do Dogs Know When They Are Going To Die? This is not a happy topic but one that I wanted to write about. I was looking at the calendar today and on April 6th almost 7 years ago, our sweet Bella passed away. We had already lost our Bear to...
St. Patrick’s Day Table
Happy Wednesday everyone! Check out my fun St. Patrick’s Day tablescape I put together to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! I love this holiday but can never find many clover dishes or linens so I was very happy to come across these clover placemats and matching napkins...
Jake’s Surgery At Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center And Dog Friendly Columbus, OH
Happy Wednesday everyone! I previously wrote a post about Jake’s Luxating Patella/Cranial Cruciate surgery last year and we thought we were out of the water. But our hopes for a successful recovery went wrong. During that surgery, two screws were placed in the knee...
How Does A Dog’s Immune System Work?
Happy Wednesday everyone! Today on the blog we are answering questions on How Does A Dog’s Immune System Work? I found this topic particularly interesting because every time I would take Jake And Maggie to their yearly exams, my vet would ask me if I give them...
The Perfect Valentine’s Day Table For Four
Happy Monday everyone! Happy Valentine's Week! The Perfect Valentine’s Day Table For Four is a combination of reds, pinks, whites, blacks and has something sweet and something salty to enjoy! There is no shortage of towels, napkins, toothpicks, flowers, and a...
Happy Halloween!! 🎃 👻 Thank you for the great info on keeping your pets safe during Halloween!
You are so welcome! I hope it helps everyone!