What Holiday Plants Are Toxic To Pets?
My "not real" red, black, and green front porch!
I do love natural pines around the holidays but I cheated this year. I already had my wreath from last year from Hobby Lobby, my red lanterns from Walmart, and just found these adorable “Joy” boxes with greenery and clip on flowers this year from Walmart in their Christmas section. These boxes packed full of pine cones and branches were only $39.99 a piece. I added silk flowers and berries to the boxes and wreath and put this front porch together in about half an hour. My “D” Christmas bulb came from Kirklands a few years ago.
According to ModernDog Magazine, one of the most popular holiday plants often considered poisonous are poinsettias. But in fact, they are “non” to “mildly” toxic. Pets that ingest poinsettias generally have no clinical signs or mild gastrointestinal discomfort. A mild rash may develop if rubbed on the skin, but they are considered safe to keep in the home.
Dr. Dorothy Black, clinical assistant professor at the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (CVM), explained, “Poinsettias are usually referred to as highly toxic, but they really aren’t. Feel free to display them at Christmas.”
Jake and Maggie back from their Spa Day!
I had just got Jake and Maggie home from their grooming appointment and needed to get pictures. It started to rain and they were more interested in the neighbor who was checking his mail.
The oils produced by fir trees can be irritating to a pet’s mouth and stomach, causing excessive vomiting or drooling. The tree needles, meanwhile, may cause gastrointestinal irritation, obstruction and punctures.
Additionally, the water used to nourish Christmas trees can be noxious. Bacteria, molds and fertilizers can cause your pet to become extremely sick with only a few laps of water. Keep the water covered and blocked off to prevent pets from accessing it.
Curious cats may climb the tree and/or knock the tree over, injuring themselves and damaging heirloom ornaments. Best practice is to keep your Christmas tree blocked off and out of reach of your cats.
Mistletoe, on the other hand, can be quite poisonous to pets. If ingested, pets may experience gastrointestinal upset, or show clinical signs of poisoning such as a change in mental function, difficulty breathing, or a low heart rate. Mistletoe shouldn’t be used where pets could possibly reach it.
If a large enough amount of these plants are ingested, seizures and death may follow.
The leaves and berries of holly and mistletoe plants, even the dried plants, should be kept well out of your pet’s reach, or better yet, kept out of the home altogether.
Amaryllis and Daffodils are also considered poisonous for pets. If ingested, pets may vomit, appear depressed, or show signs of a painful abdomen and a loss of appetite, as well as, tremors. This is a sign of severe toxicity if tremors occur.
Lilies are particularly toxic to cats.
Daffodils are also toxic to both dogs and cats. The bulbs are the most toxic; however, even a few bites of the flower can cause kidney failure and even death in cats.
The beauty of the flowering Amaryllis is only matched by its toxicity. The Amaryllis contains lycorine and other noxious substances, which cause salivation, gastrointestinal abnormalities (vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite and abdominal pain), lethargy and tremors in both cats and dogs.
The bulb of the plant is reputed to be even more dangerous than the flowers and stalk.
The Amaryllis also goes by other names, including Belladonna, Saint Joseph Lily, Cape Belladonna and Naked Lady.
Amaryllis, by any name, should be kept out of the house.
Fortunately, the Christmas Cactus (or its relative, the Easter Cactus) plant is not toxic to dogs in either its parts or flowers. The same applies for cats. However, fibrous plant material can cause irritation to the stomach and intestine, leading to vomiting or diarrhea.
Curious cats and dogs, especially kittens and puppies, may be injured by the spines, so these plants should still be kept out of pets’ reach.
The phone number for the ASPCA Poison Control is 1-888-426-4435, 24 hours a day.
I love hearing from all of you and do my best to respond to each and every one of you. I always enjoy your comments, feedback, and suggestions so keep them coming! If I’ve posted a recipe (for our human and our furry friends) and you try it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @twoadorablelabs and use #twoadorablelabs.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You Might Also Like
Happy Wednesday everyone! Baking these Apple Butter Cookies brought all the falls feels! Browned butter, apple butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, all-spice, brown sugar, maple syrup! What better way to enjoy a rainy day than to bake these cookies…gooey with large chunks of...
Happy Wednesday everyone! This Lemon Butter Garlic Sauce packs a punch! It tastes exactly how it sounds with strong lemon, butter, and garlic flavors and smells incredible. Mr. TAL kept asking what I was making and I couldn’t wait to surprise him. I tossed in some...
Happy Wednesday everyone! Are you in the mood for something deliciously sweet? This banana foster is the perfect topping for a French Vanilla ice cream sundae. Bananas coated in a rich, buttery, syrupy sweet mixture is the perfect topping for sundaes and French...
Happy Wednesday everyone! I literally just made these Handmade Tater Tots for Mr. TAL and they were delicious. I had a totally different post going out today which was a Bananas Foster recipe but I’ll save that for next week! Shredded potatoes, cream cheese, extra...
Happy Wednesday everyone! This Baked Gnocchi With Pomodoro Sauce is incredibly easy to make with loads of flavor! This simple tomato sauce gets tons of flavor from herbs sautéed in olive oil with pillows of potato gnocchi and topped with mozzarella cheese! Mix in a...
Happy Wednesday everyone! These Bacon Wrapped Puff Pastry Twists are incredible! Puff Pastry intertwined with thick salty bacon strips, smothered in egg, cheese, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder, then coated with more egg, cheese, and brown sugar. These twists...