Why foster a dog?
What does fostering mean? It means that you take an animal into your home and give it all the love, attention, training, make sure he receives the best food and any medications it needs for a period of time until it is adopted into a good home.
Why do adoption groups need foster homes?
There are many reasons a dog might need foster care. Some of the most common include:
- A rescue group doesn’t have a physical shelter and depends on foster homes to care for dogs until suitable homes are found.
- A puppy is too young to be adopted and needs a safe place to stay until he or she is old enough to go to a forever home.
- A dog is recovering from surgery, illness or injury and needs a safe place to recuperate.
- A dog is showing signs of stress such as pacing or hiding in the shelter.
- A dog has not lived in a home before or has not had much contact with people and needs to be socialized.
- The shelter is running out of room for adoptable dogs.
Why should I foster a dog?
- Freeing up a spot so the shelter or rescue can take in another dog.
- Giving your foster dog the time he needs to be ready for adoption.
- Helping the shelter or rescue learn more about the dog so he can end up in the best home possible.
- Socializing the dog to a home environment and possibly getting him used to being around other pets and different types of people.
How do I sign up to foster a dog?
Find a rescue group or shelter near you and contact them. They’ll likely have you fill out a foster application and, if you are approved, they will work with you to figure out the right foster dog for your household. You can also call your vet or attend an adoption event to inquire about fostering.
There are so many reasons why we should foster. It just has to be the best decision for you and your family. You also have to find the right dog and the shelter can help you with that. These pictures are of Jake at 8 and 9 weeks old. I can’t imagine giving this sweet face up to someone else. Fostering an animal is extremely selfless, caring, and so very helpful to the many shelters in need of assistance.
I thought I’d share some throwback pictures of Jake when he was a puppy. I’ll share pictures of Maggie on another post. She is just as cute!!!
You Might Also Like
Happy Wednesday everyone! The weather has been perfect for hayrides, picking pumpkins, pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice latte (HERE) and charity garage sales too! Last weekend we went to a charity event to help raise money for Joey’s P.A.W., a non-profit raising money to...
Happy Monday everyone!! We got a delivery on Saturday from SmartyPaws Vitamins for the dogs, see previous post (HERE) and I said to Thomas, between their insurance (HERE), organic food, organic treats, vitamins and probiotics, I need to sit down and calculate what we...
Happy "Friday Treats Friday" everyone! I've missed the last two weeks because I've been working hard on the cookbook. This project has been so much fun and is nearing the end. I set a deadline for publishing in October and I'm on track! Because I've missed the...