Why foster a dog?
What does fostering mean? It means that you take an animal into your home and give it all the love, attention, training, make sure he receives the best food and any medications it needs for a period of time until it is adopted into a good home.
Why do adoption groups need foster homes?
There are many reasons a dog might need foster care. Some of the most common include:
- A rescue group doesn’t have a physical shelter and depends on foster homes to care for dogs until suitable homes are found.
- A puppy is too young to be adopted and needs a safe place to stay until he or she is old enough to go to a forever home.
- A dog is recovering from surgery, illness or injury and needs a safe place to recuperate.
- A dog is showing signs of stress such as pacing or hiding in the shelter.
- A dog has not lived in a home before or has not had much contact with people and needs to be socialized.
- The shelter is running out of room for adoptable dogs.
Why should I foster a dog?
- Freeing up a spot so the shelter or rescue can take in another dog.
- Giving your foster dog the time he needs to be ready for adoption.
- Helping the shelter or rescue learn more about the dog so he can end up in the best home possible.
- Socializing the dog to a home environment and possibly getting him used to being around other pets and different types of people.
How do I sign up to foster a dog?
Find a rescue group or shelter near you and contact them. They’ll likely have you fill out a foster application and, if you are approved, they will work with you to figure out the right foster dog for your household. You can also call your vet or attend an adoption event to inquire about fostering.
There are so many reasons why we should foster. It just has to be the best decision for you and your family. You also have to find the right dog and the shelter can help you with that. These pictures are of Jake at 8 and 9 weeks old. I can’t imagine giving this sweet face up to someone else. Fostering an animal is extremely selfless, caring, and so very helpful to the many shelters in need of assistance.
I thought I’d share some throwback pictures of Jake when he was a puppy. I’ll share pictures of Maggie on another post. She is just as cute!!!
You Might Also Like
Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope your week is going well. I've been wanting to put this post out for awhile now so that I could share the good news...Thomas and I are the proud godparents to the most beautiful baby boy we have ever seen. His name is Max and he is a...
Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. I wrote this post because I have two sweet labs who love to lick me but I call it “giving kisses"! As I type this, Jake is laying next to me giving me kisses on my leg. In the middle of the night, I will...
Happy Wednesday everyone! I’ve been promising a video from guest speaker, Thomas Domitrovich (AKA My Husband) about electrical safety and pets and here it is!! Thomas is the Vice President of Technical Sales for Eaton Corporation and has 20+ years in the electrical...