Keeping Your Cat Healthy And Happy
This is a repost from 2018. You might have noticed that I’ve done some re-posting lately which I will do from time to time. Jake has had some surgery for a torn ACL which I will definitely post on later plus we are traveling. But don’t worry, fresh new posts will be coming out soon. This is for all of you cat lovers out there. I might talk about dogs A LOT but I never forget my cat lovers. I love cats and kittens just as much and never have a problem talking about them :-). And…if you have a topic you want me to research for you and post on, I would be glad to do that. Send me a comment or a quick email and let me know!
My last two posts have been pretty serious so I wanted to change things up a bit. What better way to do that than to talk about three sweet fur babies, Binky, Wilbur, and Piggy! If you ever thought about adopting a kitten or a cat, here are few things to think about to prepare yourself and your home. Trust me, once you see these pictures, you won’t need to read anything else :-). If in doubt about cats, these sweet faces will change your heart in a second.
“Binky” – Sweet and Mellow!
Keeping your cat happy and healthy:
- Cats are clean freaks and are constantly grooming themselves.
- They don’t like their food and water bowls next to their litter box.
- If you have or want more than one cat, make sure you provide one litter box per cat.
- If your cat is having accidents in the house, it means the litter box is not clean or they are having a health problem. The litter box should be cleaned daily.
- They eat dry and wet food just like dogs.
- Cat’s get UTI’s alot because of the type of food they are eating. If this is the case, purchase food with urinary track formula.
- Cat’s get bored so make sure they are mentally stimulated with toys, laser lights, cat trees, or even a seat at the window.
- You will experience burst of kitty energy which is very funny.
- Cats will acclimate to your sleep patterns and schedule.
- Cats are stubborn and give the perception that humans are there to accommodate them.
- Cats will spray or mark if they are not fixed or if something is medically wrong with them.
- Cats cannot drink milk but cat milks can be bought at Walmart and pet stores for your pet to drink especially as a treat.
- Dating back to Egyptian times, if a cat brings you a dead animal, it means they love you. It’s their way of saying “thank you”. “You bring me food and water and I bring you food and water”. (http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/cat.html)
- If a kitten or cat seems more on the chill side, they will most likely be a docile cat. If they are all over the place as a kitten, they will most likely be like that as an adult.
- If your cat is getting extremely bored, you can buy him a laser light at Bed, Bath, and Beyond to help mentally stimulate him.
“Binky” – Sweet and Mellow!
“Piggy” – aka Curious George and Lover
Keeping your house safe and your cat trained:
- If your cat is not de-clawed, make sure you have scratching posts for them to use. They will naturally want to scratch and you don’t want your house torn up.
- SSSCAT Spray – a can that produces a puff of air to deter your cats from getting on furniture, tables, and chairs when in close proximity to the can.
- Use sour sprays to keep from licking and chewing and can be bought at any pet store.
Allergies to your kitten or cat:
- If your allergic to cats, your not allergic to them but their saliva.
- Cats are constantly cleaning themselves and when their saliva dries on their fur and you touch their fur, you get an allergic reaction.
- Hypoallergenic wipes are made to help with these allergies, are non-scented, and can be bought at Walmart or any pet store.
“Wilbur” – Cool Cat; Copy Cat
What I learned about Catnip:
- Catnip is a stimulate but not harmful to the cat.
- This is good for a cat that doesn’t get much exercise and can get them moving.
- The effects only last between 10-20 minutes and cannot be given to kittens.
Taking care of your outdoor cat:
- Make sure you get your outdoor cat their rabies and worming shots.
- During the winter months, provide appropriate shelter for your cat. Keep your structure clean and away from wind and snow.
- Fill their huts with straw because it retains the body heat better. Hay and towels retain moisture.
- They are hunters but provide fresh food and water for them daily.
- Alot of cats are indoor/outdoor cats. Once you have a cat who experiences the outdoors, they want that more often.
- A kitten can have her first heat as early as 4 1/2 months, so don’t fall for that old “wait until six months to spay” advice. And remember, that once a female cat has her first heat, it will happen again and again, until she either mates or is spayed.
- Be responsible and get your cat spayed. A cat can be nursing and become pregnant.
Something about cats I didn’t know:
- Cats produce different purrs and cries.
- When they look at you and close their eyes, blink soft and slow, that means they are very comfortable and are accepting you. They love you. They are relaxed.
- If they flick their tail back and forth or are hitting their tail against the floor, it means they are getting mad or they see something they don’t like.
- Indoor cats can live 17 years or more where as outdoor cats live between 2-5 years.
- Having a diabetic cat is not as costly or scary as people think it is. The needles are approximately $12.00 per box of 100 and the medication is approximately $25.00 per month.
- Your vet bills might be costly up front with maintenance at a minimum.
- If your cat is diabetic, you will notice frequent urination and your litter box filling up faster.
- With a diabetic cat, giving them a shot can be made fun. Feed them their favorite food and give them their shot while they are focusing on meal time and not you.
Toxic food for cats:
- Human Foods are not meant for cats
- Onions, garlic, and related root vegetables
- Green tomatoes, green (raw potatoes)
- Grapes and raisins
- The Sweetener Xylitol
“Three well behaved little fur babies who are trained to love Christmas but not the tree” 🙂
Want more information on cats and kittens, read my last blog on What Is Kitten Season?
I would like to thank my sister for sharing her pictures of her three fur babies and allowing me to interview her for this blog post. I feel it’s important to shed a positive light on cat ownership and really learned a lot today. Binky, Piggy, and Wilbur have touched my heart and I hope you enjoyed them as well.
You Might Also Like
Happy Wednesday everyone! Valentine’s Day is next week and I thought this Bourbon Cream Chocolate Coffee would be the perfect after dinner drink for your Valentine’s Day dinner at home! This is a combo of sweet cream with hints of bourbon and chocolate together....
Happy Wednesday everyone! My new Santas, Poinsettias, Cranberry Bourbon Sours Table gives big Christmas vibes! I added a festive addition with this Cranberry Bourbon Sours drink with a sweet and sour combo of homemade cranberry-orange syrup, warming bourbon, fresh...
Happy Wednesday everyone! These Potato Stacks are crispy, salty, cheesy, and delicious. I found this recipe on Half Baked Harvest but tweaked it just a bit for some extra flavor. Made with Idaho potatoes, salted butter, oregano, grated parmesan cheese, fresh...
Happy Wednesday everyone! Halloween is almost here and if you are wondering what you should make, try these 4 Fun Halloween Appetizer And Treat Recipes! They are all budget friendly, healthy, delicious, quick, and easy to make! Spider Oreos, Skull Cauliflower...
Happy Wednesday everyone! These Skull Pepperoni Rolls are so fun, fast to prepare, and cooks up in minutes. Perfect for a Halloween party or cooking with the kids! I saw this idea on Pinterest and had to try it. Mr. TAL gave them a thumbs up and said they are...
Happy Wednesday everyone! Can you believe we are half way through October already. That’s why you need to make this Olive Spider Taco Dip now :-). This dip is super easy to make and comes together in no time. Made with sour cream, cream cheese, ground meat, taco...
Happy Wednesday everyone! I literally just made these Handmade Tater Tots for Mr. TAL and they were delicious. I had a totally different post going out today which was a Bananas Foster recipe but I’ll save that for next week! Shredded potatoes, cream cheese, extra...
Happy Wednesday everyone! These Bacon Wrapped Puff Pastry Twists are incredible! Puff Pastry intertwined with thick salty bacon strips, smothered in egg, cheese, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder, then coated with more egg, cheese, and brown sugar. These twists...