Good for: All recipes—especially carmelizing
If a recipe doesn’t specify what type of onion to use, your safest bet is a yellow onion. Yellow onions are your standard cooking onion. The yellows hold up extremely well over that process of caramelizing because it is a long, slow heat.
Good for: Salads, relishes, garnishes
Popular sweet onions include Vidalias, Walla Wallas and Mauis. These well-known varieties have a pale yellow skin. The inside may look white but they are yellow
Good for: Salads, grilling and pickling
Good for: Mexican dishes and grilling
White onions are the type of onion you’ll usually find in prepared salads (potato and macaroni salads, for instance) and traditionally in Mexican cuisine. White onions can be strong but they tend to have less aftertaste.
Good for: Sauces and dressings
Shallots have a mild onion flavor. These bulb-shaped alliums taste like a garlic-onion hybrid. In French cooking, shallots are used in vinaigrettes and sauces, as well as on top of steak.
Good for: Asian and Mexican cooking and garnishes
Brown Sugared Caramelized Onions
- 6 sweet onions, sliced
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- Slice onions in half, wash off, and pat dry
- Slice each end off
- Start slicing down but keep the rounds in tact
- Lay directly into cast iron skillet
- Add balsamic vinegar, teriyaki sauce, worcestershire sauce
- Mince two cloves of garlic and throw into pan with onions, vinegar, and sauces
- Layer each onion with brown sugar letting the brown sugar sit on top to cook down
- Salt and pepper to taste if you like
- Let cook on medium heat until onions are soft and caramelized. Sauces will start to evaporate a bit leaving the onions with a caramelized texture
- Use immediate or store in an air tight container for up to 5 days
I love hearing from all of you and do my best to respond to each and every one of you. I always enjoy your comments, feedback, and suggestions so keep them coming! If I’ve posted a recipe (for our human and our furry friends) and you try it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @twoadorablelabs and use #twoadorablelabs.
You Might Also Like
Happy Wednesday everyone! Baking these Apple Butter Cookies brought all the falls feels! Browned butter, apple butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, all-spice, brown sugar, maple syrup! What better way to enjoy a rainy day than to bake these cookies…gooey with large chunks of...
Happy Wednesday everyone! This Lemon Butter Garlic Sauce packs a punch! It tastes exactly how it sounds with strong lemon, butter, and garlic flavors and smells incredible. Mr. TAL kept asking what I was making and I couldn’t wait to surprise him. I tossed in some...
Happy Wednesday everyone! Are you in the mood for something deliciously sweet? This banana foster is the perfect topping for a French Vanilla ice cream sundae. Bananas coated in a rich, buttery, syrupy sweet mixture is the perfect topping for sundaes and French...