What To Do If Your Dog Has Been Stung By A Bee

Jul 28, 2021 | Pet Health, Pets, Tips and Tricks

Happy Wednesday everyone!  What would you do if your pup got stung by a bee?  I was thinking about this the other day as I was watching the many bumble bees buzzing about my yard.  Jake And Maggie are not phased by these buzzing bees and thank goodness for that!  What To Do If Your Dog Gets Stung By A Bee is the topic for the day!  Did you know the bumble bee can live up to 28 days.  Meanwhile their queen can live longer!  Animals love to wonder about their surroundings checking out all the different scents and smells.  Their curiosity can get the best of them and before they know it, they’ve got themselves into a bit of a situation so it is important to know what to do and act fast.

 
While dogs are more susceptible to allergic reactions to bee stings, cats are not.  While the majority of cats aren’t hypersensitive to the venom found in bee or wasp stings, if your kitty falls into the minority of cats that are allergic, getting stung could make her seriously ill or go into anaphylactic shock. This could result in a dangerous drop in blood pressure that could be fatal.  What to do if your cat has been stung, make a thick paste of baking soda and water and apply it to the sting site. If your cat has multiple stings or bites, a soothing oatmeal bath is the way to go. Apply an ice pack to the affected area for 10 minutes to reduce swelling.  And as always, if your sweet fur baby is showing signs of discomfort or severe swelling, call your vet immediately.

Maggie's photo bombs

Poor Jake, lol!  Look at that sweet face!  Maggie photo bombed every picture and we eventually gave up. I started laughing and it was all over from there.  This is what it is like taking pictures of these two!  

www.twoadorablelabs.com
How To Recognize Bee Stings In Dogs:
  • Redness
  • Swelling
  • Itchiness
  • Hives
  • Pain
  • Whining or yelping
Bee stings on the eyelids and nose can be most painful for your dog, and the swelling can affect sight and breathing if the sting isn’t treated quickly.  If your pup has been bit on the tongue, the swelling can block his or her windpipe so it is important to get your pup to the vet immediately.  Having a swollen tongue can also hinder his eating causing weakness and lethargy.  
www.twoadorablelabs.com
Signs Of Allergic Reactions To Bee Stings In Dogs:
  • Swelling
  • Hyperventilation
  • Agitation
  • Labored breathing
  • Lethargy or collapse
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Disorientation
  • Anaphylactic shock is an allergic reaction that can lead to death in dogs. The most common signs of anaphylaxis include vomiting within 5-10 minutes after being stung and/or increasingly pale gums. If your dog shows either of these symptoms, head to an emergency vet immediately for IV administration of potentially life-saving drugs.
www.twoadorablelabs.com
How To Prevent Been Stings In Dogs:
  • Keep your dog away from beehives
  • Use Natural Bee Repellents – white or apple cider vinegar diluted with water, essential oils such as (Clove, Peppermint, Tea Tree, and Eucalyptus oils), dog bug stray such as (Citrobug)
  • Keep your dog away from flowers, flower beds were bees are swarming.  Again, dogs love to explore but pay attention.  It is best to keep them moving along the floral path just to be safe.
 
www.twoadorablelabs.com
What To Do If your Dogs Gets Sung By A Bee:

Search for the stinger – Bee stingers are venomous, and they continue to ooze toxins until they’re removed from the flesh.  You can use a set of tweezers to remove the stinger but some argue that this only releases more toxins instead of helping.  If you poke the venom ask, the venom can leak causing the toxins to spread faster.  A safer option would be to use a thin piece of plastic such as a credit card.  If your pup received multiple bee stings, please take your dog to a vet immediately.  If for some reason, you cannot get to a vet, remove each stinger as fast as you can.

Cool the swollen area – Watch your dog closely and help sooth with cool compresses for larger areas or ice for smaller areas.  Reactions to bee stings range from small red marks beneath your pet’s coat to severe swelling on the paws, head, or body.

Keep your pet from scratching itself – Licking the stinger is almost the same as getting stung again.  Scratching the wound will make it more severe.  Wounds are prone to infection and your pet’s immune system will already be compromised but still trying to fight off the venom from the bee stinger.  To help reduce the licking and scratching, use the plastic cones the vets use otherwise called the cone of shame.

Prevent Infection – Use proper wound and infection treatments as the wound heals not just on the fresh bite.  It is always good to have a “doggie first aide kit” incase of emergencies like this.  I bought mine from Chewy.com.

Call your vet – They may advise you to give an antihistamine like Benadryl (diphenhydramine), but it’s important to know exactly the right dosage suggested for your dog. Antihistamine “sticks” can be applied directly to the skin, but if your dog can lick the spot where he was stung it’s safer to rely on digestible medication. Never give your dog medication of any kind without talking to a veterinarian first.

 
 
 
Interested in more blog posts, scroll to the bottom where you will find previous posts, as well as, related blot posts products via Amazon.  If purchased, Two Adorable Labs receives a small commission which is always appreciated.   

I love hearing from all of you and do my best to respond to each and every one of you.  I always enjoy your comments, feedback, and suggestions so keep them coming!  If I’ve posted a recipe (for our human and our furry friends) and you try it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @twoadorablelabs and use #twoadorablelabs​.

You Might Also Like

Red Lobster Cheesy Puppy Biscuits

Red Lobster Cheesy Puppy Biscuits

Happy Monday everyone!  I hope you love this version of Red Lobster’s Cheese Biscuits re-created for our fur babies!  We are calling it Red Lobster Cheesy Puppy Biscuits and according to Jake and Maggie, they are delicious!  Packed full of whole wheat flour, eggs, and...

Doggie Banana Pudding

Doggie Banana Pudding

Happy Friday Treats Friday everyone!  With only two simple ingredients, this Doggie Banana Pudding with a touch of cinnamon is incredibly fast, healthy, and easy to make.  I always say doggie approved but I cannot lie.  Jake loved his banana pudding and Maggie sniffed...

How To Bathe A Cat

How To Bathe A Cat

Happy Friday everyone!  Did you know September is National Happy, Healthy Cat Month!????  It was Wednesday, September 1st and I totally missed it but better late than never I always say.  I had my notes ready and was planning on doing a cat post anyway on How To Bathe...

What Do You Think? Let Us Know!

2 Comments

  1. Sharon

    Very good advise!

    Reply
    • Bobbi

      Thank you so much! I enjoyed putting this post together and educated myself as well. Hope all is well.

      Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.